One of the best places to visit in the area is the Rio Chillar Walk from Nerja. Despite the hot temperatures in Andalucía, this route is ideal for walking during May, June, July and August. You will find plenty of shade, plus the river to keep you cool. However it is still a great walk for other times of the year, depending on the recent rainfall in the area. The surrounding scenery is amazing. There are birds, dragon flies, butterflies, palms, sugar cane and beautiful wild flowers, to be spotted on your walk.
A fun day out for all the family
The river walk is suitable for families, as what child (or adult) does not love splashing around in water. It is fairly flat along most of the route. Though it is worth remembering that young children are unlikely to do the full 16km, 8km each way. The walk is suitable for most abilities as you wander along the river bed at your own pace and return along the route you came. You can make the walk any length you like and when you feel you have had enough, why not stop and have a lovely picnic before making your way back.
A word of warning though, you cross the river bed quite a few times so you can expect wet feet. It can be a bit slippy in places so for added comfort you may like a walking stick and sensible shoes. These do help you to negotiate the rocky river beds.
What you can expect to see
Along the walk you will find a variety of views to take in, pine woodland and cavernous rocks. At one point the rock walls narrow and you can touch both sides of the gorge at the same time! Here the water deepens and is a little faster, and you will walk through a series of rapids or cahorras. Don’t worry, these can easily be negotiated but you need to take a little care. The water pools can be knee deep in some places, but this will depend on the amount of rain throughout the seasons.
There are two larger pools, one about 5km in and one at the end of the walk – these are great places to swim. Along the route there are smaller pools and places to take a break. Those who want to, can do the full walk to the dam and waterfalls. Here you can bathe in the crystal-clear waters, there is nothing quite like it and it is very rewarding!
We cannot explain the beauty of this walk. Google it yourself and take a look at the photos of this stunning area. The walk is currently voted number 1 of 30 things to do in Nerja on Trip Advisor! This is a very popular walk for visitors and locals alike, and can get quite busy, especially at weekends. If you are going to do the whole walk, we recommend you start earlier in the morning to ensure you are back in the dark, you will also then avoid the busier times.
You will find some really useful information, such as timing, where to park, difficulty, how to prepare etc on this link https://www.nerja-turismo.com/en/things-to-do-in-nerja/rio-chillar-walk/
The walk should not be attempted if there is a forecast of rain or there have been recent storms. Flash floods can occur in bad weather!
Book Direct for your chance to enjoy the Rio Chillar Walk today
Driving directions to the Rio Chillar Walk
· Take the A7 towards Nerja/Motril
· Exit at J292, the N340A towards Nerja
· At the roundabout take the 1st exit onto Avenida Alcalde Antonio Villasclaras.
· Go straight over at the next two roundabouts.
· At the 3rd roundabout take the 4th exit onto Avenida de Pescia/N340
· At the next two roundabouts take the 2nd exit and continue on Avenida de Pescia.
· At the 3rd roundabout take the 3rd exit onto Calle Julio Romero
· Continue onto Avenida de la Constitucion before taking a left onto Calle Cisne.
· At the roundabout take the 1st exit onto Calle Mirto, before taking a sharp left shortly after.
· Continue up the track and pass under the motorway, the river should be on your left.
· Continue straight on the track where you will find an old cement factory.
· Park here, be aware of ‘no parking’ signs in some areas.
· The walk begins just past the cement factory, before the track curves to the left.